The Music Ministry of The Congregational Church, UCC in Tryon enhances and develops the biblical word of God’s teachings through choral and instrumental music in worship services throughout the liturgical year.
“Speak to one another with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
The Chancel Choir, open to all singers, leads the congregation in the singing of the Sunday morning hymns and prepares specific choir service music selections (Introit, Prayer response, and Choral Benediction response) and anthems.
CHANCEL CHOIR SCHEDULE: (September – May, varies in the summer)
REHEARSALS: Sunday mornings at 8:45 am (additional rehearsals are scheduled when needed for Wednesday evenings at 6:00 pm)
The Handbell Choir, comprised of bell ringers who read music, ring on Sunday mornings when scheduled throughout the year. The Whitechapel Bell Foundry, Ltd., London, England, handbells were a gift from Rachel Jackson Bunte, who acquired the original 29 (twenty-nine) bells from Peachtree Presbyterian Church, Atlanta, GA in 1983. The 29 bells were returned to England with an order from Congregational Church to purchase another 10 new bells, which completed the 3 (three) octave set. The Jeffers Handbell Supply, Inc., Irmo, SC refurbished the handbells in 1999 and again in 2014.
HANDBELL CHOIR SCHEDULE: (September – May)
REHEARSALS: Wednesday 5:00-6:00 pm (when scheduled – Choir Room)
“A hymn is the praise of God with song: a song is the exultation of the mind dwelling on eternal things, bursting forth in the voice.”
Other Musical Offerings
We are called to make a joyful noise to our God, and we know that takes a variety of different forms. Our congregation appreciates musical offerings in worship, from classical instrumental and vocal solos, choral music, folk music traditions to music from a variety of contemporary sources.
Our Sunday Serenade concert series features a variety of musical styles and talents from our region. Throughout the year these concerts are presented at 3 PM on Sundays. The concerts are free, but a free-will donation is always appreciated. Sign up for our weekly email list to be notified about upcoming concerts. If you are interested in performing at a Sunday Serenade, please contact our Minister of Music.
Get Involved in Our Music Ministry
If you play an instrument or sing, and are interested in sharing your musical gifts with our congregation, we’d love to learn more. Please contact our Minister of Music, Dr. Susan Lyle, to learn more about and participate in our music ministry.
The original 1908 tracker action organ, a gift from Charles E. Erskine, was installed and built by the Felgemaker Organ Company, a manufacturer of pipe organs based out of Erie, PA in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The motor and blower, patented and manufactured in the early 1900’s before the organ’s installation, operates the instrument today! In 1958 the organ was renovated and enlarged by Schlicker Organ Co., Inc., Buffalo, NY, a gift from Carroll Pickens Rogers and Susan Erskine Rogers in memory of Charles E. Erskine. In 1978 the instrument’s conversion from tracker to electro-pneumatic was completed by Schlicker, as well.
The beautiful Antiphonal Organ located on the front, street-side wall of the sanctuary was a grand addition built by Casavant Frères, Quebec, Canada in 1986.
The final stage of the 30 rank organ’s refurbishing and renovations was completed in 2011 by the John Dower Organ Co. (now Lincoln Pipe Organs, Inc.) Lincolnton, NC. The chancel area of the sanctuary was reconfigured in an architectural design, which transformed the split chancel to a choral, u-shaped design, replacing the church pews with choir chairs. The new organ console was built and installed on the main level of the chancel, movable and adaptable for worship services, recitals, weddings, special occasions and church events. The Great Organ was removed from the organ chamber (the Swell Organ and pedal division remain in the chamber) and rebuilt on the front chancel wall, opposite wall of the Antiphonal Organ. What a magnificent mirror image reflection of stained glass windows and organ pipe.