We are an Open and Affirming congregation. Which means that The Congregational Church,UCC, in Tryon welcomes persons of all ages, races, social and economic circumstances, sexual orientations, gender identities and gender expressions, abilities and church backgrounds to participate in the life and ministry of our church.
SUNDAY MORNING WORSHIP
We strive to be a progressive, Christian worshipping community where worship is dynamic and extends beyond Sunday morning and the walls of our sanctuary. We ground ourselves in the still speaking words of scripture, and progressive theology and liturgy. We take seriously listening for the imaginative calling of the Holy Spirit. Our worship service includes includes music from soloists, musicians, organ accompaniment, bell choir and other special musical offerings. Due to the nature of the pandemic, we have temporarily suspended our Chancel Choir.
SUNDAY WORSHIP INFORMATION
- Worship Service 10:00 AM in the Sanctuary and online via livestream.
Followed by Community Hour (Coffee, punch, and conversation) in the church courtyard as weather allows.
- Greeters and Ushers will welcome you to our church, provide you with a worship bulletin, and help direct you where to go.
- Children are always welcome in worship. We understand that for younger worship participants noise and movement are natural. We consider it a joyful noise to God.
- Due to the pandemic, we have temporarily discontinued our nursery care for children age 4 and under. However, our downstairs nursery or fellowship hall (where we livestream our worship service) is also available for parent use.
- For those children, K-5th grades, who wish to participate in Children’s Worship, please join the class outside, prior to worship. Children who attend Children’s worship will rejoin the congregation at the time of offertory, and join us for the message for all Ages and time of prayer.
- The Fellowship Hall, Sanctuary, Bathrooms, and Church office are handicapped accessible.
- Hearing assistance devices and large print bulletins are available.
- Dress for the service varies from casual to Sunday best. It's all a matter of personal choice. Please come how you are most comfortable and know that you will be welcome.
- Communion is offered on the 1st Sunday of the month. This church practices open Communion – all are welcome to receive Communion, including children, and regardless of church membership or denominational affiliation. We use non-alcoholic grape juice and gluten free bread.
CURRENT PANDEMIC PROTOCOL
Help us provide a safe worshipping environment. Please do not attend worship or church events if you are experiencing any symptoms related to Covid-19.
DIRECTIONS FOR WORSHIPPING IN THE SANCTUARY
- Masks. Masks, covering both nose and mouth, are required at all times regardless of vaccination status.
- Social Distancing. Maintain social distancing. When in the sanctuary, please note that every two pews will be blocked off, for a total of 14 available pews for seating (a TV will be set up in the Fellowship Hall for overflow). Family units/"Covid pods" are welcome to sit together. All others should observe directions, with regards to seating, from the ushers and maintain distance.
- Singing. There will be no congregational singing. All hymnals have been removed from the pews. You can pray the words of the hymns if you know them, or even hum behind your mask, but we ask you to refrain from singing.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided for those who wish to use it.
- Offertory. We will not be passing an offertory plate. Your offering can be placed in the offertory plates in the back of the Sanctuary, prior to service.
- Prayer Requests. If you have a prayer request, joy or concern, you would like to share, please write it down and place it in the basket at the back of the Sanctuary prior to service. They will be incorporated during the time of prayer.
- Community Hour. Community hour will be outside in the courtyard. During the postlude all are asked to process outside to the Courtyard. Those who wish to stay can join in the singing of a hymn led by our Minister of Music.
- Children. Children are always welcome to join us in the sanctuary for worship. For those children who wish to participate in Children’s Worship, please join the class prior to worship, outside on the lawn. Our downstairs nursery is also available for parent use. See usher for directions. Children who attend Children’s worship will rejoin the congregation at the time of offertory.